Some times we get caught in a web we weave all on our own. I knitted such a tangled web for myself in 2009.
I promised myself to give only self-knitted/crafted gifts to my family. Sounded like a fabulous idea in the beginning. It would have not been a difficult promise to keep; if I only had smaller number of people to knit for.
Save for my two brother-in-laws and my best friend, I knitted for every one else, including a non-family-member, in 2009. How many gifts, you ask? Lets count them…
1. February> A top-to-bottom seamless cardigan for my sweetheart of a husband, Soheil, for his birthday.
2. April> A shawl for my lovely mother-in-law’s birthday.
3. April> A cardigan for my cute nephew- Arman’s 5th birthday. (self designed)
4. May> An evening bag for my sister #2, Parto, as Mother’s Day gift. I lined it and sewed another bag out of the lining silk material as a case or second bag. (self designed)
5. May> A Needle Case for my sister #1, Parisa, as Mother’s Day gift. (Self designed)
6. May> Infant Bolero Jacket for a neighbor’s grand daughter. (Self designed)
7. September> A felted large bag/tote for Parisa’s birthday. I knitted and lined a small wrist bag to go with it. (self designed)
8. September> Hat, gloves & Cowl set for my little brother- Reza’s birthday. (self designed)
9. October> Headband for my fantastic niece, Roya.
10. October> A cape for Roya’s birthday. (self designed)
11. December> A tunic for my fabulous little niece- Neda’s birthday. (self designed)
12. December> A cardigan for Parto’s birthday- still ongoing.
As challenging as it was to keep my promise, the bright smiles and heartfelt thanks made it all worthwhile.
However, I would like to make 2010 more about myself and knitting smaller gifts. I do not have anything to wear of my own making. As soon as I finish my sister’s cardigan (whenever that might be), I will make something for moi… Any ideas?
© 2010, livingamused. All rights reserved.