One Friday afternoon, we invited my sister and her family on an impulse for dinner. With less than two hours to shop, prepare, cook and serve the food, I made up this recipe. Everyone seemed to like it and as a witness to that- there were no leftovers (either that or I didn’t make enough food). Don’t let the number of steps involved discourage you; it is simpler to make than you think. While it might not be your one-pot/skillet solution to a quick meal; it will be a super delicious and fancy looking one for sure.
Serves 5-6 as the main course
|Red Onion- Chopped Finely||1 Large|
|Garlic- Chopped Finely||2 Cloves|
|Lean Ground Beef or Veal||2 Lbs.|
|Salt & Pepper||To Taste|
|Tomato Paste||3 Tbsp|
|Parsley- Washed & Coarsely Chopped||1 Cup|
|Frozen Green Peas- Thawed||1 Cup|
|Basmati White Rice||2 (Dry) Cups|
|Potato- Peeled and Sliced Thinly||1 large|
|Vegetable Oil or Extra Light Olive Oil or Grapeseed Oil||1 Tbsp + more for rice|
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a large saute pan on medium low heat and add onions, a little salt and pepper.
- Saute for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and golden in color.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add meat, saute at medium high heat for about 5-6 minutes. Make sure you stir often to break up the meat.
- Add salt, pepper, turmeric and cumin – stir to combine and saute on medium low for another minute.
- Add tomato paste – stir and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add enough water to just cover the meat. Bring to boil and lower heat to simmer for about 10 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add parsley and green peas and combine. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice according to Persian Rice with Potato Tah-Deeg recipe, steps 1-13.
- Start Assembling: On top of Potaoes, add about 1/4 of rice. Handle the rice gently to avoid breaking the grains.
- Add 1/3 of meat sauce evenly top of the rice.
- Layer in this fashion and finish with rice on top. With back of a spatula or a large spoon press down the rice.
- Cover and cook on medium low heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove lid and wipe down the condensation. Wrap a clean kitchen towel around the lid and place over the pot.
- Continue cooking on medium low heat for another 30-35 minutes.
- Remove lid, place a serving platter over the top, carefully inverting it onto the platter. Smile, pad yourself on the back and serve immediately.
© 2010, livingamused. All rights reserved.