This is a very popular “anytime dish” in Iran; but I am not sure of its true origin. Wherever this recipe comes from, it is super delicious and versatile. Serve it as an appetizer, lunch or summer dinner. I have never seen anyone who has not fallen in love with this ultimate Chicken Salad. If you think I am exaggerating, just make it yourself…You’ll see.
Use theses measurements as a guide. I find the best way is using the following percentages: Chicken 45%, Potatoes 10%, Eggs 10%, Green Peas 10%, Pickles 10%, Celery 10%, Carrots 5%. Also remember that this is not baking and exact measurements are not important.
|Chicken Breast on the bone> roasted (see recipe)>, de-boned and chopped||1 med. size (1.5-2 lbs.)|
|Yukon Gold or Yellow Potatoes>cooked (boiled), peeled and chopped||2-3 med. size|
|Large Eggs> hard boiled, peeled & chopped||5+1 (for decoration)|
|Green Peas> thawed||1 cup|
|Carrots> (optional) peeled & finely chopped||1 med. size|
|Celery> chopped||3-4 stalks|
|Cucumber Pickles (small, whole)> drained||8-9 + 1 (for decoration) pcs.|
|Mayonnaise (the real kind)||3/4 cup+ 2-3 tbsp (for decoration)|
|Dijon Mustard (optional)||2 tbsp|
|Fresh Lemon Juice||1 tbsp|
|Salt & Pepper||to taste|
|Black & Yellow Olives> pitted||5-6 pcs. (for decoration)|
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, reserving those for decoration.
- Gently mix thoroughly with a large spoon or spatula.
- Taste for seasoning. If too dry, add a little more mayo. Do not drown the salad in mayo; just enough to hold the ingredients together.
- Transfer to a serving platter or bowl.
- Spread the reserved mayo over the top.
- Decorate the top with olives, sliced egg and pickle.
- Cover and chill for at least a couple of hours. Will keep up to 5 days, covered in the fridge.
- Serve with your favorite bread. Lavash, pita or any flat bread would be ideal.
Noosh-e Jan (Bon Appetite)!
© 2010, livingamused. All rights reserved.