I really like cooking with my nieces and nephew, especially now that they are a little older and can do more chores, including cutting/dicing and the ultimate kitchen chore: washing the dishes.
A couple of weeks ago, it was my lucky day to take care of the girls and we whipped up the following recipe for a healthy and fun dinner. Most of the work is preparation and the actual cooking takes very little time. We paired it with our semi home-made focaccia bread and a delicious salad with home made mustard vinaigrette (which was totally devoured by the girls).
|Ingredients: (Serves 4)|
|Chicken Breasts> Boneless||4 large Pcs.|
|Garlic> Chopped||2 Cloves|
|Sweet Peppers> Diced||4 small or 1/2 large|
|Baby Bella Mushrooms> Diced||6-8 Oz|
|Baby Spinach> Chopped||1 Cup|
|Cilantro> Chopped||1/2 Cup|
|Cheese> any you wish> Chopped or Grated||1 Cup|
|Extra Virgin Olive Oil||2 Tbsp|
|Salt & Pepper||to taste|
|Kitchen Twine or Toothpicks|
|Marsala Wine||1/4 Cup|
|Marinara or Tomato Sauce||1/2 Cup|
- Heat up 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil in a nonstick pan and add shallots. Saute for a couple of minutes on medium low until translucent.
- Add mushroom and saute over medium heat until mushrooms change color, about 2-3 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper toward the end.
- Add garlic and sweet peppers, sauteing for another couple of minutes.
- Add spinach, stir and saute for a minute, remove from heat and add cilantro. Let the stuffing cool down.
- Meanwhile, cover breast pieces with a plastic wrap (or place in a plastic bag) and pound gently to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Salt and pepper both sides of chicken breasts and spread 1/4 of stuffing and cheese onto each piece, leaving a 1/2 inch border on all sides.
- Start tightly rolling the breast pieces from one end and secure the opening with toothpicks or kitchen twine.
- Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the stuffed chicken breasts.
- Saute a minute on all sides. Add Marsala wine, letting it evaporate while scraping bottom of the pan.
- Lower the heat and add marinara (tomato) sauce and a little water. Cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
Remove twines (toothpicks).
Dish it out and enjoy!
© 2010, livingamused. All rights reserved.