I put together this recipe on a day I needed to make a hearty soup using the ingredients at hand. I had a couple of nice contractors doing wok at the house and served them this soup with warm whole wheat baguette. They sat under the warm Fall sun in my backyard accompanied by Shaboo (the dog) and each enjoyed two bowl-fulls. They could not stop thanking me.
Note: Adjust the liquid depending on your preference. If you like thinner consistency, use more stock or vice versa.
You could do this soup in a slow cooker. Just add all ingredients in the beginning and reduce the vegetable stock or water.
|Onion> chopped||1 med|
|Garlic> chopped finely||2 cloves|
|Celery> sliced||5-6 stalks|
|Carrots> sliced||5-6 pcs|
|Potato> Yukon or else> chopped in small cubes||2 cups|
|Kale> any> chopped||3 cups|
|Marsala Wine||½ cup|
|Vegetable Stock or Water||6 cups|
|Oilve Oil||1 Tbsp|
|Salt & Pepper||To taste|
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a stock pot. Saute onions with a little salt and pepper for 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
- Add turmeric and saute for a minute.
- Add celery, carrot and garlic. Saute for another few minutes.
- Add Marsala wine and let reduce for a minute, scraping the bottom of the pot.
- Add lentil, potato, bay leaf and vegetable stock or water.
- Cover and let come to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Add kale and simmer for another 20-30 minutes.
- Add lemon or lime juice, stir and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
Give it a last taste and serve.
© 2010, livingamused. All rights reserved.